I created this custom WordPress website design for Family Classics by Ann Cuiellette, the Author of Classic Creole – A Celebration of Food & Family. I originally reached out to her for website design a few years ago, when I saw a write up about her Classic Creole cookbook. My Dad is a huge New Orleans food lover and I love to cook, so this cookbook sounded amazing. She kept me in mind as she developed this new website idea that focuses on everyone being able to share their own unique family recipes. Do you have a hilarious family recipe? This website allows you to upload your own story, family photos and recipe and then gives you a unique URL to share with your friends. Check out the website now: Family Classics: Every Family has a favorite recipe. What’s yours?
Here is a breakdown of the key features of the new website:
- Defined goals: Family Classics had one main goal: to get people to share their recipes, stories and photos. They also had 2 secondary goals: get people to sign up for their email updates and sell the Classic Creole cookbook.
- It’s responsive: No matter what device you use – smartphone, tablet or desktop – to view the website, the website will adjust to the size of your browser. No more pinching and zooming to try and figure out what that tiny text says. How does your own site look on a mobile phone?
- Easy to update website: The website is built in the Content Management System (CMS), WordPress, which is super easy to update. There is even a mobile app, where you can type in blog posts from anywhere. Turn those unproductive times like waiting to get your oil change, into blog time.
- Custom add recipe, story and photo upload section: This recipe website design also needed a place where users could enter their recipes, stories and photos. This section is also completely editable in the Admin section. See how we created this section here: Share your recipe
- Custom WordPress theme design: Each website I create, I present 2-3 website design options. For this site, I created a custom background that loads fast, along with a custom color scheme and header design.
- Tagline: Originally Ann just had a logo, but I came up with a few tagline ideas while designing the site to better explain what the website was all about. Her final choice: Every Family has a favorite recipe. What’s yours?
- Fonts: The fonts I picked out for this website are specifically picked to compliment the fonts of their existing Family Classics logo.
- Color Scheme: The color scheme that I chose was to compliment the logo colors and create the feeling of a cozy, warm family room.
- PDF instructions: I provided Family Classics with a PDF on how to update their WordPress website.