Who is the Mark West wine brand?
“Mark West was founded in 1978 with one desire: To craft remarkable California Pinot Noir that delivers exceptional quality at an affordable price. With equal parts patience, hard work, and passion, we’ve followed our dream from vineyard to barrel to bottle, rewarded by knowing that Pinot lovers savor every glass just as much as we do. Totally devoted to Pinot.”
Wine consumer: Everyday LoyalThe below information is based on the Constellation Brands Genome Segments. (This post is part of a series on how six different wine brands target six different wine consumers. Read the Intro here.)
- 20% of wine consumers
- Wine makes occasion more formal
- When I find a brand I like, I stick with it
- Wine is part of my regular routine
- $10 average price per bottle
Mark West Pinot Noir Strategy
- Cost: $9.95
- Competitors: Smoking Loon, Mirassou, Castle Rock, Cupcake
- No winery location
- Differentiates their Pinot from others by saying their Pinot Noir is the “#1 Selling Pinot Noir in the U.S.”
- $40 million in sales (according to below 2015 Movember video)
Packaging DesignPackaging design is a very important part of a wine brand’s sales. Why?
An even stronger reason?
According to the 2014 Gallo Consumer Wine Trends Survey, nearly 2/3 of wine drinkers selected a wine for its label – with emphasis on “younger consumers.”
This means that our brain is making unconscious decisions about wine labels all the time. What is the perceived value of the Mark West packaging design? As a wine label designer, the first thing that I notice about their label is the bright color, which typically signify a cheaper price. Mark West Pinot Noir label also uses serif and script fonts on their label, a crest, foil printing, plus a very clear hierarchy of information. You read Mark West first, then Pinot Noir and then the Aappellation. All of these cues unconsciously communicate this is a “traditional” wine, because it follows the same pattern that you see in old European wine. On the back of their labels they remain consistent with the front label with fonts, logo and color. They again continue their differentiation focus by saying “Mark West Winery specializes in Pinot Noir.”
Scientific research tells us that 90 percent of the information transmitted to the brain is visual and that human beings process images 60,000 times faster than text.
PromotionsWhat type of promotions do you create for Everyday Loyal wine consumer? Last fall Mark West ran a “Movember” promotion. Movember is an annual event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of various cancers, such as prostate cancer. Let’s look how this promotion worked:
- Partnership for a good health cause – makes consumers feel good!
- Primarily focusing on men that are younger
- Used a custom hashtag #MyStacheMyPinot – very important for any promotion
- Men’s Health Magazine: print & online ads
- In-store demo’s