Many wineries want to reach female wine drinkers, but you may be missing out on connecting with a specific target market: moms!
Moms drink wine. A lot of wine. Especially moms with young kids. Have you seen this hilarious “Chardonnay Go” video that pokes fun at Pokemon Go?
Now let’s think about who are these Mom’s? Many Moms sharing these videos and meme’s are not just Millennials. Many women are waiting until later in life to start families, which means plenty of Gen Xers are “wine moms,” too. (Want to read more about Gen Xer’s? Go here to read Marketing your Wine Brand to Generation X)
Unlike the Millennials who grew up with technology, Gen Xers remember a time before it existed. They were the earliest adopters of email, online research, and social media. (I can still recall the distinct sound of the modem connecting so I could access my AOL email. And it took forever!)
According to a recent America Wine Generations Report, 63% of Gen X wine drinkers have posted about wine on social media.
There is an entire online culture built around wine-drinking moms. They are active across platforms and highly engaged. They have their own Facebook groups, Instagram profiles, Twitter accounts. And don’t forget all the pins on Pinterest!
These communities have plenty of followers, and they’re entertaining, informative, and supportive. Moms ask each other for advice, and share their own experiences in the trenches.
The primary joke (reality?) being that wine is necessary to get through those demanding early parenting years.
They tag friends in posts about helpful products like this wine dispensing travel tote for moms on the go, like this one. So funny!
After the kids go to bed
A common theme among wine moms is having that glass of wine after the kids go to bed to help them relax. To reclaim their sense of self, separate from their mom identify. To relish a moment of invaluable “me time” that doesn’t involve arranging for child care and paying for an evening out. (Side note: I just put my kid to bed and sat down to write this post, glass of wine in hand.)
Example of Mom focused wine marketing
To capitalize on this trend, Guiliana Ranic created a wine brand called Xo,G that makes it easy for moms and other women to have just one glass of wine. Xo,G is consistent with this message in their social media and on their website:
As an added bonus, the package was cleverly designed to appear gift-wrapped, which makes this wine brand the perfect gift for her girlfriends!
How your winery can target Mom’s
So how can your winery leverage social media to build strong relationships with “wine moms?”
- Make sure you’re doing social media well. This means your winery is consistently posting or tweeting, responding promptly to messages and comments, and interacting with your fans or followers on a regular basis.
- Make sure the content you’re sharing is relevant to your target audience. Create a funny video, your own meme or test out packaging targeted towards Mom’s.
- Everything you share should provide value in some way for your followers. Your posts should inform, inspire, or entertain. For example, this post pairs their wine with flowers, wine napkins and the quote “I save my carbs for wine. It’s called priorities.”
- Follow the 80/20 rule. Only 2 out of every 10 posts should be promotional in nature, and even then, position the message as how the product or service will benefit them.
- Host a Moms Night Out event at the winery! Establish a fun hashtag and use it both before and during the event. Set up a Facebook event from your winery’s page, and then include the link in your email newsletter to increase awareness and RSVPs. Have a prize drawing to create buzz and get them talking about your event. Incorporate an Instagram contest where moms can post a picture or video using your hashtag about why they need a moms night out for a chance to win. Reward them for their engagement and they will spread the word!
Need help reaching Moms?
Whether you’re looking for packaging design, advertising or social media support, we will partner with you to provide the branding and marketing services you need! Contact us for a free estimate customized for your winery.